Monday, April 18, 2011

Blog Post # 14 Special Assignment on Metaphors



1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor? 

 Okay so I'm a little EMBARRASSED to say this but I had no idea what a Metaphor was. But when Dr. Strange pointed it out that half the class missed it and everyone started commenting on it. But after reading everyone's comments it started to come back to me slowly every slowly.



2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?

Since you posted this special assignment , I started looking for things that involved a metaphor. There have only be a few things that I thought could possibly be a metaphor. But all in all there have been maybe two.


3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?

I think that I would have my students write out the metaphor first. Then have them make a drawing of what there metaphor means to them. Then the person who is reading the metaphor would have something to look at and make the metaphor easier to understand.



4. Why do we use metaphors?

We use metaphors to help expand our way of thinking about things. When using a metaphor it requires your brain to think critically about the true meaning. Causing the reader to analyze what the true meaning is. Or at least that's why I think we use them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment